MEDREG is the independent organisation association for regional cooperation amongst energy regulators gathering 25 energy regulators from the 21 Mediterranean countries: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Libya, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Tunisia and, Turkey.
The overall objective of MEDREG is to contribute to the progressive establishment of an integrated Euro-Mediterranean energy market. MEDREG’s specific work towards meeting its general objective involves: (a) the development of proposals, tools, regulatory standards and good practices that can lead to more efficient and compatible regulatory frameworks to enhance the development of efficient national energy systems and to facilitate the gradual integration of energy systems (including cross-border systems) in the region; and (b) the establishment of a closer relationship amongst regulators in the region with the aim to enhance their cooperation.
Such ambitious goals are carried out via intense institutional and capacity building programmes which are the pillars of MEDREG’s work and also through MEDREG’s Working Groups comprised of representatives of its Members. Currently, MEDREG has five Working Groups (Institutional; Electricity; Gas; Environment, Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Efficiency; Consumers) and one Task Force coordinating the participation and contribution of MEDREG representatives to the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM). MEDREG promotes a permanent exchange of know-how, data collection and dissemination of expertise through comprehensive studies, recommendations, reports and specialised training sessions.
MEDREG’s strategy and activities are supported by its Milan-based Secretariat. The Secretariat provides continuous support to the President, Vice-Presidents, MEDREG members, Working Groups (WGs) and Task Forces (TFs) towards the implementation the Association’s Action Plan. The Secretariat supervises and contributes to the preparation of studies and recommendations developed by the MEDREG WGs and TFs, and supports the drafting of the Association’s strategic documents. The Secretariat also ensures the overall coherence of MEDREG messages through the drafting of speeches, presentations and statements delivered by Members on behalf of MEDREG. Detailed information on MEDREG’s organization and activities is available at MEDREG’s website, www.medreg-regulators.org.
The Secretariat is currently composed of 5 people. To accommodate the increased activities of MEDREG in the forthcoming two-year period 2018-2019, the Secretariat and will grow to include 9 people. The Secretariat is now looking for a Junior Policy Expert to support the implementation and development of MEDREG’s technical deliverables.
OPEN POSITION: Junior Policy Expert
PLACE: Milan, Italy
STARTING DATE: February 2018
CONTRACT: 2-year contract with long term perspectives
He/She will support the Policy and Content Manager in his/her daily activities. When required, he/she will support other Secretariat members. He/She will be entrusted with the following activities:
- Support the Policy and Content Manager in all technical activities related to the preparation of reports, capacity building activities, publications, and cooperation protocols. He/She will contribute to the drafting of studies and analysis on identified topics of interest and deliverables according to MEDREG’s Action Plan
- Support the Policy and Content Manager in the preparation of agendas for MEDREG’s workshops, trainings and other events, providing suggestions on topics, structure of the event and possible speakers. He/she will contact and follow up with prospective speakers for MEDREG trainings to facilitate their participation
- Assist in drafting presentations and speeches to be delivered by MEDREG’s Members and Senior Secretariat staff when representing MEDREG at external events
- Assist in the drafting of narrative documents pertaining to the MEDREG financing contract with the European Commission
- Contribute to the drafting of MEDREG’s Annual Report and other publications that promote MEDREG’s achievements
- Assist in the implementation of strategies to advocate MEDREG’s messages at national and regional (EU and MENA) level
- Proactively follow up and report on developments in Euro–Mediterranean energy policy and regulation (both gas and electricity sectors)
- Support the promotion and organization of current and new network activities including liaising with the organization’s current and perspective stakeholders, including EU Institutions, TSOs, NGOs, industry, academia and others
- Nationality preferably of one of the MEDREG members
- University degree in one of the following or related disciplines: Economics, Law, Political Science, International Relations
- Up to 2 years’ experience in a similar position, including internships
- Knowledge of Euro-Mediterranean energy policy and institutional context considered a plus
- Outstanding written and verbal skills in English, fluency in Arabic and/or French would be an advantage
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent communication and multicultural skills, preferably acquired through professional experience in international settings
- Ability to work under pressure and problem solving
- Ability to work in a positive and proactive manner, as a team member, and in a complex institutional environment
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate clearly, both written and orally
- Must be able to effectively read and interpret information
- Must be organized and able to prioritize and plan work activities as to use time efficiently
- Must be dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and must be able to improve performance through management feedback
- Contract type: apprenticeship full-time contract, starting on 15 February 2018 for 2 years, with long term perspectives
- Salary: 15.600€ NET per year plus benefits (daily ticket restaurant and private health insurance)
- Work location: Milan, Italy
Interested candidates should submit the following documents in English.
- Detailed curriculum vitae in Europass form clearly elaborating on educational and professional experience (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae);
- Motivation letter (1-page maximum); and
- Two reference contacts
Supporting documents (i.e., copies of ID card, educational certificates, evidence of previous professional experience, etc.) should not be included in the application at this stage.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com. The reference “PolExp17” must be inserted as subject in the e-mail .
The deadline for sending applications is 10 December 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Selected candidates will be interviewed from 8 to 12 January 2018 at MEDREG premises in Milan (Italy). Please note that MEDREG is not in a position to refund any expenses incurred by candidates during this recruitment process.
This is an open-ended contract aimed at training young people, up to an age of 28 at the time of the contract signature. At the end of the two years, if neither the employer nor the employee withdraws from the agreement, the employment relationship will continue and will be considered open-ended.