MEDREG is the independent association for regional cooperation amongst 25 energy regulators from 21 Mediterranean countries: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Libya, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Tunisia and Turkey.
The overall objective of MEDREG is to contribute to the progressive establishment of an integrated Euro-Mediterranean energy market. MEDREG’s specific work towards meeting its general objective involves: (a) The development of proposals, tools, regulatory standards and good practices that can lead to more efficient and compatible regulatory frameworks to enhance the development of efficient national energy systems and to facilitate the gradual integration of energy systems (including cross-border systems) in the region; and (b) The establishment of a closer relationship amongst regulators in the region with the aim to enhance their cooperation.
Such ambitious goals are carried out via intense institutional and capacity building programmes which are the pillars of MEDREG’s work and also through MEDREG’s Working Groups comprised of representatives of its Members. Currently, MEDREG has five Working Groups (Institutional; Electricity; Gas; Environment, Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Efficiency; Consumers) and one Task Force coordinating the participation and contribution of MEDREG representatives to the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM).
MEDREG’s strategy and activities are supported by its Secretariat. The Secretariat provides continuous support to the President, Vice-Presidents, MEDREG members, Working Groups (WGs) and Task Forces (TFs) towards the implementation the Association’s Action Plan. The Secretariat supervises and contributes to the preparation of studies and recommendations developed by the MEDREG WGs and TFs, and supports the drafting of the Association’s strategic documents. The Secretariat also ensures the overall coherence of MEDREG messages through the drafting of speeches, presentations and statements delivered by Members on behalf of MEDREG. Detailed information on MEDREG’s organization and activities is available at MEDREG’s website, www.medreg-regulators.org.
The Secretariat is currently composed of 5 people. To accommodate the increased activities of MEDREG in the forthcoming two-year period 2018-2019, the Secretariat will grow to include 9 people.
Currently, the Secretariat is looking for its Deputy Secretary General to coordinate its daily activities.
- He/She will support the Secretary General in his/her duties.
- He/She will assist the Secretary General in his duties towards the President, Vice-Presidents and General Assembly in defining MEDREG’s strategy and strengthening MEDREG’s accountability.
- As office manager, he/she will deliver staff responsibilities and coordinate the activities of the Secretariat on a daily basis.
- He/She will ensure a high-quality standard of deliverables.
- He/She will provide strategic advice on communication.
- He/She will liaise with the European Commission and relevant stakeholders at working level.
- He/She will report to the Secretary General.
- Nationality preferably of one of the 21 MEDREG Member countries.
- At least a Masters level university degree in energy related fields (economics or engineering or other relevant discipline).
- Consolidated experience in energy regulation.
- Experience in quality control of energy related deliverables and studies.
- Experience in cooperation and actions related to proximity and compatibility of regulatory frameworks at bilateral, multilateral, regional or international basis, .
- Excellent communication skills, preferably acquired in an international professional environment.
- Fluency in English demonstrated by excellent oral and written skills.
- Strong team player and leader of flexible multicultural and multidisciplinary teams with proven abilities of coaching and capacity building within a team, as well as within the regulatory environment.
- Innovative, problem-solver and versatile.
- Strong ability to establish contacts and interact at all institutional levels.
- Attentive to members and stakeholders’ views, strong ability to comprehend arguments and requirements.
- Availability to travel frequently mainly in Mediterranean region and surroundings.
- Demonstrated familiarity related to the statutes, procedures and functioning of regulatory bodies that promote cooperation amongst regulators at all levels.
- Familiarity with MEDREG, its work programme and achievements.
- Experience in the participation and management of EU funded projects.
- Experience in the organization of large scale events and training sessions.
- Experience in capacity building activities and knowledge transfer on energy related topics including energy regulation.
- Working knowledge of the energy sector of MENA countries.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Arabic.
- Contract type: Consulting contract with long term perspectives to start in the beginning of 2018
- Salary: between 80.000and 105.000 € gross per year, depending on skills and experience
- Work location: Milan (Italy)
Interested candidates should submit the following documents in English.
Supporting documents (i.e., copies of ID card, educational certificates, evidence of previous professional experience, etc.) should not be included in the application at this stage.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to the following addresses: email@example.com. The reference “DSG17” must be inserted as subject in the e-mail.
The deadline for sending applications is 30 November 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Selected candidates will be interviewed from 11 to 15 December 2017 at MEDREG premises in Milan (Italy). Please note that MEDREG is not in a position to refund any expenses incurred by candidates during this recruitment process.